I'm such a sucker for fun facts about Chicago so when this article came out on Buzzfeed listing 50 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Chicago I had to give it a read. I must admit I knew quite a few, but only because I am a huge history buff! Here are some of my favorites:
1. Spray paint was invented in Chicago in 1949.
6. Chicago’s Western Avenue is the world’s longest continuous street, at 23.5 miles.
17. The Twinkie was invented in Chicago in 1930.
26. Four states are visible from the top of the Willis Tower (Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin).
38. Pabst Blue Ribbon beer (PBR) was first introduced during the 1893 Colombian Exposition, also known as the 1893 World’s Fair, which was held in Chicago. (Hipsters rejoice!)
41. The first Rotary Club in America was founded in Chicago.
43. The Wrigley Building was the first air-conditioned office building. (AMEN!)
And for my favorite fun fact.....
14. The zipper was invented in Chicago in 1851.
Think about it - with out the zipper we would be forced to use the ever-tedious button fly!