I stumbled across this pizza recipe on FitSugar that boasted under 300 calories for half the pizza, which sounds too good to be true, but it really does exist and I had to give it a try.
The secret ingredient that keeps the pizza low carb, low cal and gluten free? Cauliflower. The crust is made of mostly cauliflower. In order to make the crust you have to grate 2 1/2 cups of cauliflower. Grating the cauliflower was quite the task, but mostly because I had the wrong cheese grater and the wrong cauliflower. I felt like I was in an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen!
This healthy alternative is packed with all the flavor of regular pizza, but not all the calories. I was truly blown away! Per usual, I wanted to add my own spin on recipe. I am a huge fan of adding protein to every dish and I LOVE pepperoni. I added Turkey Pepperoni to the dish and it was quite the touch (and at 70 calories per 17 slices, it only adds 35 calories a serving!)
While this low calorie cauliflower pizza crust recipe is no replacement to Chicago deep dish, it certainly and AWESOME healthy alternative.
- Nonstick spray
- 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- 17 Turkey Pepperoni
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Grate the cauliflower using a box grater until you have two cups of cauliflower crumbles. Place in a large bowl and microwave for seven to eight minutes, or until soft. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
- Mix in the egg, one cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch round on the prepared pizza pan. Spray lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Top the pizza with the sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella, grape tomatoes, garlic, pepperoni and red pepper flakes. Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with basil before serving.